What's in a name?

The name Claire comes from a Latin expression meaning "brilliant." Well, I'm not one to argue with that but naming a blog after myself seemed a BIT too conceited. Instead, I chose "African Chiku." Chiku is pronounced "CHEE-koo" and is a common name amongst African children, meaning "chatterer." This summer, I am traveling to Tanzania on a National Geographic photography trip for three weeks and we are required to maintain a blog. When naming my blog, I discovered a title that not only fits the experience but my own personality as well. Ask anyone I know and they'll claim I love to talk. What about? Anything. Nothing. Whatever, whenever and wherever. I am an African Chiku.

Friday, June 11, 2010

The Morning of...

I just enjoyed my last luxurious shower that I'll have in the next three weeks, and I'm leaving for terminal E in about 30 minutes. It's here. Africa is here. Through all the shopping, packing, and meetings, I somehow convinced myself that it was all a dream. However, it's the morning of departure, and I've realized it's actually happening. I'm going to Tanzania for three weeks. Wow. I'm so fortunate to have this opportunity. I'm so fortunate to have parents who are allowing me to venture out to another continent. I'm so fortunate to have a great group of people journeying with me. I'm so fortunate period. Though I'll probably end up exhausted in my sleeping bag with a huge mosquito net surrounding me at the end of the day, that's what makes it a great experience.

1 comment:

  1. Just missing you -- Love, Mom & Lauren (Dad's in China; Rob's at Young Life Frontier Camp in Buena Vista, CO, but coming home tomorrow at 5:30 p.m.)

    ReplyDelete